How to Implement a Safe Sleep Modeling Program in Your Hospital
As part of our ongoing commitment to making it easier for families and healthcare professionals to follow the AAP guidelines on safe sleep, the HALO Safe Sleep Modeling In-Hospital Program replaces the traditional blankets in your well-baby nursery and NICU with a FREE supply of HALO® SleepSack® Swaddle wearable blankets.
Our FREE In-Hospital Program includes:
- Specially designed HALO SleepSack Swaddle wearable blankets for in-hospital use, made of durable fabric with easy access to monitor leads.
- FREE safe sleep educational materials for parents and staff training.
- Marketing and public relations support materials to promote your hospital’s safe sleep practices.
What is the HALO® SleepSack® Wearable Blanket?
Created by Bill Schmid after losing his daughter to SIDS, the HALO SleepSack Swaddle has been thoughtfully designed with pediatric nursing input and tested in hospital environments. The safe design and superior quality has been recognized by leading safe sleep and safety organizations in the United States and Canada, including Cribs for Kids, CJ First Candle, and the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Today, it is used in more than 1,500 hospitals in North America to promote safe sleep.
Free, Really? What’s the catch?
There is no catch! The HALO SleepSack Swaddle is provided at no cost and that’s why more than 1,500 hospitals in North America already participate.
- Each hospital is allocated a specific number of free HALO SleepSack Swaddles annually. You can order them throughout the year, as needed until your allotment reached. Most hospitals do not go over their annual allotment, however, if you do, you can order additional quantities at a small charge.
- Hospitals are responsible for the cost of shipping.
- There is no binding contract. You simply agree to use and care for the product as intended and commit to the safe sleep education needed for staff and patients. Your program will renew seamlessly after 12 months.
How can I sign up?
It’s easy to sign up. Just fill out this form and your regional HALO representative will get in touch to help you get started.
What additional resources can help our hospital create a safe sleep program?
To implement a safe sleep program in your hospital we recommend consistent training and education for all healthcare professionals. This ensures consistent and current information is provided to parents while they are in the hospital. Additionally, it is important for your staff to understand the barriers that parents face in following safe sleep guidelines at home, so that solutions might be presented to parents before they leave the hospital. For more on these recommendations, we’ve collected the following resources that will help you implement your safe sleep program:
Can We Prevent Infant Sleep-Related Deaths? What You Need to Know.
First Candle/SIDS Alliance - New Hospital Modeling Guidelines for NICU
First Candle/SIDS Alliance - New Hospital Modeling Guidelines for Well Baby
Promoting Safe Sleep Practices through Modeling and Education in the NICU