Are you preparing for a little one on the way? One of the most enjoyable experiences when expecting is preparing the nursery. When determining a nursery theme, moms have told us that their starting point is the room focal point – the crib. But did you know that those often gorgeous cribs with fluffy blankets, pillows and bumpers in catalogs and showrooms aren’t safe for baby? In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that baby’s crib is free of all these things for safe sleep. No pillows, bumps, toys, or loose blankets – just a fitted sheet and baby in a wearable blanket. So when contemplating your nursery design, think safety too and decorate other elements of the room, while keeping baby’s crib simple. Here are many other ideas to implement a design concept while keeping the crib safe.
• Wall Stickers – From text to trees to animals to geometrics, there are so many options to create a mural effect with the ease and low cost of removable stickers. These provide a big impact and are easy to do yourself.
• Paint – There are thousands of colors to choose from to compliment the concept, gender, and size of the room (it’s best to use lighter colors for small rooms, darker is okay for bigger rooms). Also consider painting a texture, multiple colors (a chair rail or molding is a great divider, as well as opposite walls), or even the ceiling.
• Window Valance – Some of the bedding theme groupings have a valance option. If not, there are many resources to shop for valances (retail stores, online shops, and fabric stores).
• Curtain Rod Finials – If you don’t have a valance or it doesn’t cover the rod, look for a unique rod with a finial in a coordinating color or shape.
• Curtain Tiebacks – These are used to keep side panels to the side, and are available in various colors, shapes, and themes just like curtain rods.
• Drawer Pulls – This is a very easy way to personalize the furniture. Most home stores such as Home Depot and Lowe’s carry a selection of drawer pulls, some in stock and many that can be ordered. You can also find many options online. Just swap them out with the ones that came with the dresser or other furniture.
• Hand Painted Nursery Furniture – If you are one of the lucky ones with artist talent, paint away! Otherwise, shop around for stencils, wall stickers, or trace part of the design from other elements in the room.
Below is a list of accessory items. Some of these are sold with bedding theme groupings as additional options. Be creative in shopping around to find these items.
• Fitted Sheet
• Crib Mobile
• Laundry Hamper
• Diaper Stacker
• Table Lamp
• Night Light
• Switch Plate
• Floor Rug
• Wood or Plastic Letters of Child’s Name – custom paint or hang with ribbon
• Stuffed Toys, Decorative Collectibles, Picture Frames – to put on a decorative shelf, NOT in the crib
Check out some of our nursery decorating ideas on pinterest! Do you have any nursery decorating tips to share? How did you implement your design concept?